New fabric, new plans

Hi there,

In the period I was unemployed I didn't buy much fabric. It wasn't so much that I didn't have the money for it. It was more a matter of prioritising my expenses. I have enough fabric lying in piles, to last me a long time so there was no actual need of buying anything. It wasn't necessarily hard to be on a fabric-diet, it was just not much fun. As you will probably all understand.

Finally, last weekend I treated myself on a trip to my local fabricshop. I just love to go there. The shoplady is very sweet, the choice of fabric is great and, as it is a rather small shop, the visitors always end up in a little group chatting with each other. It's cosy and it's fun.
There was this little girl - she looked not much older than 8 or 9 years - who asked the customers "Can I help you?". And she did. She was very helpful and seemed to know quite a bit about fabric and notions. As I wondered what her relation to the shoplady was (I assumed granddaughter), someone else asked her that same question and her answer was "I just work here. I needed (?) a job and I can work here on saturday". Turned out she was already 16 years old. But she was sooo petit... We started talking (yep, in a little group) and I asked her if she did sew for herself. She did. For herself and for her mother. She had to, because obviously she couldn't find any age-appropriate clothes in the store. And yes, she would lóve to get a job in fashion, or in fashion-related business. It was so much fun to talk to her. I wanted to tell her to keep chasing her dreams and not do what I did back in the days.... (I wanted to become a fashiondesigner. But when the time came to decide on an education, I got cold feet and chose the safe way of becoming a secretary. No real regrets, but still....). But I didn't. Nowadays, these youngsters are so well aware of what they want and they are not afraid to take the steps to get there. I'm sure she'll get there too. And if she chooses different, than that's her choice. Just like I chose another way.






Anyway, about an hour later I left the shop with two pieces of fabric. I realised a while ago that I really have to buy fabric with a plan. If I don't, I find it very hard to decide later on what to do with it.
These two pieces came home with me and I hope I will find some time this weekend to work on the things I have planned for them. The denim - which is quite stiff by the way and way darker than the picture shows - will be a long pencil-skirt. I plan on using the white self-edge and the wrong side of the fabric in the design. The blue knit is gonna be a sweater.The pen is just there to show you the size of the pattern.
Both pieces will be reruns of former projects and it's gonna be fun!
Next time I'll tell you more about my plans.

For now, have a great weekend and enjoy the fall which is falling upon us (pun intended) quickly now.

Lilian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My preferred way of finishing necklines and armscyes on a knit shirt

Let's start 2011 with Top 3b from KnipMode 2008-08

My (re)view on KnipMode September 2015 - The Make-over