Sunday, August 22, 2010

Blouse-jacket in progress

Plan was to show you the finished result by now, but I somehow lost a bit of my sewingmojo in the last few days, so there has not been a lot of sewing going on. But before that happened I managed to do a great part of it.
All that's left to do is topstitch all the way around, place the pockets (incl. topstitching), sew on the sleeves, make buttonholes and sew on the buttons, and of course hemming. Oh dear, that does sound like there's still a lot of work to do before I'm done!
Didn't want to let the weekend go by un-blogged though, so here's an update on the blouse-jacket so far:

 I'm proud (again) about how the collar turned out. I have avoided this kind of collar for years and years. About 5 years ago I tried it for the first time and it was a succesfull attempt. I was sold. But it's really not a sewing-technique I would recommend to a 'beginner'.

Here are more details of the parts I prepared in advance.

The collar has some kind of stand. Once it was attached to the collar it all made sense. The pocket is easy-peasy. Square. With a flap. (Is that the right word for it?) Can't go wrong there.

I love the buttons. There are supposed to be 2 buttons on the sleeves. I discovered that when I looked very closely at the linedrawing. Lucky thing I've got enough buttons.

And for the Grande Finale: did I already spell it out for you that I'm proud of these?

That's it for now. I'll finish this in the coming week, which is the last week of my summervacation. Stupid thing is that I'm getting more tired every day, instead of feeling all refreshed and ready to start my workingroutine. I suppose that is having an effect on my sewingmojo as well. 

Not helping is also the fact that I'm worrying a little (and on a subconscious level, a lot!) about my check-up appointment with the orthopedist on tuesday. 

The fingers look ok. The operationwounds have healed without any problems.
But not all of the swelling has gone yet and the area of the scars still feels very weird. Like there's sand and electricity under the skin.
Most worrying for me is the fact that my fingers are still very, very stiff. I try to do my exercises as much as possible and I achieve a certain amount of movement throughout the day. But if I haven't moved my fingers for a while than it just hurts to bend them again. And I'm not even talking about starting up in the morning...
I can't stretch them completely either. Thoug there is definitely an improvement in that area, I'm glad to say.

Afther reading this you probably think it's a wonder I can do any sewing at all. But the thing is that the little movement I've got in those fingers is just what I need to do 95% of the things I would normally do. And th├ít, my dear readers, is a blessing!

Enough of that! I'll inform you on tuesday what the outcome is. (To be honest, I'm praying for some more fysio-sessions. I don't think I can manage this on my own).

Now it's time to make dinner. What would you say about home-made cajun-chicken and home-made ricepudding with subtropical fruit? Sounds great right? After that, I'll probably spend the rest of the evening lying flat-out on the sofa, haha..

Have a great week everyone!



Sigrid said...

You dinner sounds good. The blouse is looking good too, love the sleeve with the tab being part of the whole sleeve. You'd better finish it before summer is really over.
Hope the appointment goes well and that your orthopedist can give you positive news on your fingers. Hope you get 100% use of them.

gwensews said...

The details of your shirt/jacket are terrific! As is your collar/lapel. Nice work. And, good luck at the doctor. Hope you hear some good news about those poor hands.

Eugenia said...

Your shirt jacket is coming along beautifully - you've been doing some really lovely work! I do hope all goes well with the orthopedist - I'll be thinking of you.

Rosie said...

The shirt/jacket is fab. Good luck at the doctor!

Gail said...

Wow, this project is coming to life beautifully. Let's hope your hand improves.