The bathrobe is finished. I already traced and cut the pattern a few weeks ago. Yesterday I cut into the fabric, started sewing and today I finished it.
Talking about instant-satisfaction! I'm super-glad with it. It's everything I hoped it would be. I made it extra-long (I'm tall). It's thick and warm. Everything a bathrobe should be imo.
I played with the idea of modelling it for you, but decided on 'don't think so'.
The pictures of this post tell you everything you need to know, anyway. Here's a more detailed picture:
It's a very easy pattern. The hardest part about this garment was cutting through 2 layers of this fabric. My hand really hurt when I was finished.
As you can see in this linedrawing there are only a few details. No ingenious collar or anything, just a clean line with a facing all the way around.
The pockets have cut-on facings you only have to fold over and stitch through.
Don't tell anyone, but I cheated on the waistband. I didn't want to sew it in the usual way. That would mean having a seam at one (long) side with 4 layers of fabric, and the other (long) side only 2, and therefore much thinner. I used the finished edge of the fabric by cutting the band alongside it. Then I folded the band in three. The raw edge on the inside and the finished edge flipping over. Then I stitched the finished edge in place and continued to sew all around the band. Because the fabric is so lush, it doesn't show at all that I cheated.
You can tell from the linedrawing that the front is curved at the height of the waist. Usually I have to lower the waist to make things fit better but this time I just couldn't be bothered. So my curve starts a bit above the waist.
Wow, I am mucho happy with this!
Next project.....PJ's! Stay tuned.