My (re)view on KnipMode September 2015 - The Make-over

Months ago it was announced: Knipmode was going to get a make-over. Main change was gonna be an adjustment in the range of sizes. Each pattern was going to be offered in sizes 34 to 54. And as it goes with everything that is announced far in advance, suddenly the day has come that you find the new magazine in your mailbox.
In this post I would like to give my opinion on the changes that have been made. Feel free to disagree.



From: KnipMode Magazine - September 2015


The first thing you notice is the size of the magazine. I didn’t measure it but I think that it’s about an 1/2 inch larger in width and 1 inch in height.
Does that matter? I think it does. Apart from more room for larger pictures, they used a larger font size for the descriptions, which is easy on the eyes.


Next thing
 is the cover. The previous covers were made of shiny paper. Now it’s matte, firmer and more solid. Nice! Altough I cherish my old issues of KM and Burda, more than one cover has come loose or is torn apart. Maybe the risk of that happening is now smaller.


The number of patterns has gone down. This is actually quite logical if you consider that the larger and smaller sizes are now combined.


And then…..the size-range. When I got a prescription back in 1993, the sizes were all over the place. Patterns for only small-sizes, only big, or combined. For example: S36-38 / S40-44-48 / S38-42-46 / S48-50-52, and so on. Therefore, for your specific size there was a limited amount of patterns to choose from, although it has to be said that the smaller sizes were more represented than the larger ones.
About 6 years ago they divided the ranges in S34-46 / S44-56. (This was a great time for me, being a 44-46. I could get my pick at both sides!).
And now, every pattern is available in S34-54. And that’s a great thing. A lot of people agree, according to the messages left on KM’s facebook-page. But there is a strong demand for more pictures with plus-sized models, and I think that’s a fair request if you want to project that you now provide patterns for (almost) every size.


Still there is one thought that I can’t get out of my head: I believe that not every style is suitable for every size. How is this gonna affect the style choices KM will make? Will there be compromising in design as in ‘one design should fit all’, or are they just gonna put S34-54 under every design, regardless of whether it’s a style that suits the bodytypes that come with the different sizes? Don’t get me wrong. I am a very liberal person and I believe that everyone should wear what he or she is feeling comfortable and/or great in. But in my opinion, I truly believe that certain styles are better left alone cause they are absolutely not flattering for your bodytype. (I am a 46 so I am dealing with this myself.)

But hey, as long as there are enough patterns to choose from, let’s not dwell on this. And we’ll see how KM treats this ‘issue’ as time goes on.


New categories. I really had to compare it with an older issue to see what the differences are. It's not very clear to me. I don’t even know which of the categories will be published every month. They’re mostly about  trends and themes in fashion, and ‘pimping’  your clothes. Oh, and don’t forget making your own accessories. Great for those who are in to these things, but for me it’s a waste of space. In fact, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they won’t add a cooking-item like they used to in the old days. Just saying haha…

From: KnipMode Magazine - September 2015
But one item is really cool. The sewing of one of the patterns is explained from A to Z, with pictures, on three pages. That always comes in handy, especially for those who are new to sewing. I remember I used to love these instructions when I started sewing. As a matter of fact, I still do.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
From: KnipMode September 2015
From: KnipMode September 2015
From: KnipMode-Magazine - September 2015
 
From: KnipMode-Magazine - September 2015

Conclusion
:
Overall I really, really like the new KnipMode. The vibe it has makes me happy and wanting for more. Especially the choice of fabrics is making my mouth water. The styling and pictures seem to be prettier. Is this all due to the make-over? Or has this also to do with the fact that it’s the september-issue. After a long summer, every september fashion-magazine is welcomed with open arms, showing us all the new, inspiring goodies that will lead us to and through a wonderful fall. I guess it’s a bit of both.

Anyway, I look forward to choosing my new projects from the new magazines and start fall-sewing.
Hope you enjoy it just as much!

Lilian

 

Comments

  1. Being in Australia I don't think I can get the new issues. An Australian online shop did offer old issues for a time so I have bought about 7 magazines which I love. I have made a few items now. I have no knowledge of dutch so at times I just have to try work out the construction myself which is usually OK .Anyway I think Knipmode is great -I like it better than Burda -sometimes there are only 1-2 patterns I like in Burda but with Knip I want to make most of them !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Canada & would love to find a version in English. Do you know if they have a subscription service at a reasonable international rate (equivalent to Burda or Ottobre)? Thanks for your time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My preferred way of finishing necklines and armscyes on a knit shirt

Let's start 2011 with Top 3b from KnipMode 2008-08