Thursday, May 15, 2014

Knit top finished






















This was an easy but very satisfying project. I have to say 'thumbs up' for the fit of this design. I just had to add a little bit of width at the hip and some at the sleeves (but that's a normal adjustment for me). That was all. I also narrowd the neckline because it was a bit too wide to my taste.
The ruched sleeves are not very noticeable in the front, but are still a nice feature on this - let's face it - otherwise rather plain shirt.

My favourite way to finish a neckline, with a binding:



You can't see it in the linedrawing but for the sizes 46 and up, they added length to the front-pattern at bustheight. By gathering this surplus of fabric - we're talking about approximately 2 cm (5/6") over a length of 14,5 cm  (5 2/3") for size 46, you create some extra space and shape in that area.
I wouldn't call this an FBA, but an SBBA (Slightly Bigger Bust Adjustment - Yep, I made that up).

I've never seen this technique before but I already love it! Chances are I will be adding this to all my t-shirts and knit tops in the future, unless they already have a bust-dart of course. But this is way easier than a normal FBA.  And the gathering doesn't show because a. it's only a mild gathering, and b. it's right under your arms. Unless you are doing 'the wave', noone will notice. Extra bonus: you get the extra length in the front at the bottom, but not the extra width that an FBA would create. I think that's where I went wrong with my green cardigan.
Don't know yet if this is something that could be applied to a non-stretch fabric.

Talking about fabric: this blue jersey was soooo nice to work with. It has a great stretch-recovery. I still don't know what fibers it contains, but I'm sure I will recognise it when I see feel it in a store. Ahh...fabric-love...

I said if I liked the fabric enough and if there was enough left of it, I would make a tanktop out of that. But then I realised I already have a tanktop in almost the same colour. So maybe it's best to choose another design. I wouldn't call that a punishment...

That's it for now. Talk to you soon!

Lilian

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Ottobre Design - summertop - that's the plan

While it's raining cats and dogs outside, I'm thinking about summersewing. So I looked up some old magazines and found an issue of Ottobre Design (Spring/Summer 2012) that I once got as a birthdaypresent from my sister-in-law. There are some interesting designs in this issue but I never came round to sew with these patterns.
Browsing through the magazine, my eyes were immediately drawn to this shirt:


Not very difficult to make and not a lot of work. Exactly the kind of project I need after the outcome of the green cardigan. Besides that, I like the ruffled sleeves. My narrow shoulders could do with some extra room in that area.

The instruction for sewing the sleeves is rather unpractical. They tell you to sew the elastic (to ruffle the sleeve), onto one side of the (open) seam. Then close the seam while stretching the elasticated side to accommodate the other side. Wháát??
No way I'm gonna do it like that. I'll just close the seam and sew the elastic on the seam at the wrong side. Done!

I'm not familiar with Ottobre Design magazine, so I don't know what to expect size-wise. But a simple shirt like this is already a start to find out more about that.
If the neckline is as wide as the linedrawing predicts, I will be narrowing that. And I will be adding a small band to finish the neckline. I'll probably need to widen the sleeves a bit and furthermore....we'll see what comes along.

For the fabric I've chosen a piece from my stash. I don't remember where or when I bought it. It's probably enough to make a sleeveless summertop as well. If I haven't fallen out of love with this fabric after finishing the Ottobre-shirt, that might be the next project.

Right. Let's get upstairs and start this job.


Gr.
Lilian

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Room for improvement

Well, what can I say about this?
That's a rhetorical question of course. What can you nót say about it? It has draglines in the front (FBA-fail) and folds in the back, both sleeves and bodice are too short, sleeves look twisted, also the sleeve-inset is weird and shows lines where there aren't supposed to be any,  I did not use the right colour of thread because I didn't have it in my stash and I was too lazy to go out to buy some. And to top it all off: when I cut through the buttonholes, two of them got damaged in the stitches. Two!! How did that happen??
Oh, and I had to rethread my serger about 8 times before it finally stopped snapping the thread.

In my previous post I was telling you how proud I was that I finally mastered the famous FBA. I have to rephrase that (hangs head in embarrassement...) Let's just say I understand some of the technique but not enough to make it work. Not yet anyway.

The good news? I didn't give up and persevered to the end! And I spent some time behind my sewing-machine, which is always a good thing. And I like the colour which is a lovely bright green, like this:
and not blue-ish as you would think. It's hard for my camera to catch the right colour.

With flashlight...


 Without flashlight....
 
 
Yikes......could do with some darts!! 

All this makes me a bit hesitant about what the next project will be. I haven't figured that out yet.
No need for another failure like this, that's for sure. Hopefully I will be starting something new soon but right now I'm not feeling too well. For 4 days now I'm having spells of headaches, dizziness, nausea and feeling hot or cold. Mentally I'm feeling low and not up to anything. Best to take it slow for a few days.

Talk to you soon!
Lilian